A Survey of the New Testament (Hardcover)
A definitive guide to the New Testament of the Bible--providing both the broader historical and cultural context as well as a passage-level commentary for each book.
Many students of the Bible launch into their studies without a prior systematic reading of the New Testament. This survey is unique in the way it assists a close and complete reading, without bogging down in extensive introductions and over-academic material.
Instead, A Survey of the New Testament converses with each passage in the form of brief commentary, while enabling you to see how background material--such as intertestamental history, Judaism, and other historical matters--helps interpret the text. By tracing the flow of thought from passage to passage, you'll gain a sense of the natural progression of the narrative and logic in the New Testament.
This fifth edition of Robert Gundry's classic, widely-used textbook includes updates and revisions throughout and a fresh, full-color design, including:
- More photos and updated/improved maps.
- Links to relevant websites for further study.
- Outlines, study goals, summaries, and review questions for each chapter.
- Phonetic pronunciations for unfamiliar names and terms.
- Breakouts with illustrative quotes from ancient, nonbiblical literature.
- Updated bibliographies.